Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Just when I found the news in English--it's gone?!

Before the bad news, something cute--
Well, the mushrooms on the left are cute...
(not so much the one on the right?!)


Note: above Cartoon copied (I hope they don't mind?! Yikes!) from their webpage, not the "In English" one mind you - don't know what this all says in Norwegian, I just like the little mushroom drawings & if I can translate it (lots later) will let you know...when I click on one of the little mushrooms though it goes off to an ad page--so I'm thinking they're trying to sell newspapers somewhere along the line?! hmmm...

And now the bad news...for some of us...

Aftenposten to shut down English news service


...faced with a need to dramatically cut costs, has decided to shut down its 9 yr old English-language news service, "News in English."

Aftenposten announced last month that it needs to cut...costs over the next two years.

Advertising sales have declined in recent months, and Aftenposten editors determined that prospects for the commercial viability...were unfavourable.

An exact shut-down date for "News in English" remained unclear...but was expected at the end of October.

The editorial staff of Aftenposten's "News in English" wishes to thank their thousands of loyal readers around the world for their continued interest in news from Norway over the years.

Aftenposten English Web Desk...





Read the whole sad day in Norway (for us English speakers that is?!) article here at this link:
www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article2712652.ece

Or you can just go to www.aftenposten.no & check out the newspaper in Norwegian--be my guest, have a go--see what you can figure out for fun, it's a challenge?!

Note: I've resigned myself to trying to read the really local newspaper I get in my mailbox, from Tasta I think (that's the area I live in btw) - no luck on English in there either, must learn more Norwegian...found out I can read the pictures & figure out most of the sale ads for the grocery stores, so am doing good after what--a month, maybe?! Give me a break?! Thanks...

No comments: